When a person under 18 years old commits an offense, the case is treated differently as the accused is too young to take the same responsibility as adult offenders. However, the consequence can never be taken lightly as it impacts the young defendant’s entire life.
Youth Criminal Justice Act regulates guidelines for offenders ranging from the ages of 12 to 17.
In a sentence, the court tends to give an opportunity for young offenders to rehabilitate themselves and learn more mature behaviors so they can get themselves back to their community. The examples of options that judges impose are the following.
● The court gives judicial reprimand to the young offender
● The court provides a probation period that allows the youth offender to remain a part of the community.
● Absolute or Conditional Discharge is given
● Fine is up to $1000
● Intermittent Custody – keeping the youth offender in custody for a maximum of 90 days in total; this does not have to be consecutive.
● Deferred Custody and Supervision Order – the youth offender remains in the community under certain conditions, including a curfew and house arrest.
● Intensive Support and Supervision Program – This program provides the young accused with closer monitoring and supervision to assist in improving the youth’s behavior
If a youth offender commits more serious offenses, the court can treat the case the same as adult offences.
Are you the parent or guardian of a young accused? Concerned and overwhelmed about the future of your precious child? Schedule a free consultation with Fadi Kazandji, the best attorney. Fadi Kazandji and lawyers in the Kazandji Law Firm are experts in supporting young people. Fadi Kazandji lawyer for youth offenses will fight to ensure the offender’s right and freedom with the opportunity to change.
The best youth offence lawyer in Thornhill, The best youth offence lawyer in Toronto, The best lawyer for youth offence in Richmond Hill, The best lawyer for youth offence in Markham, The best youth offence lawyer in Vaughan, The best youth offence lawyer in Mississauga, The best attorney in Thornhill, The best attorney in Toronto, The best attorney in Richmond Hill, The best attorney in Markham, The best attorney in Vaughan, The best attorney in Mississauga, Lawyer for young people, reasonable lawyer in Toronto, a lawyer near you, lawyers under $5000.